CrowdVoice

CrowdVoice is pretty impressive. The people behind CrowdVoice, Mideast Youth, have created a platform for individuals to share images, video, links, and other information about protests as they happen. Users can also add metadata, folksonomy tags, and geotags.

Their tagline is “Tracking Voices of Protest,” but I can’t help but think that CrowdVoice is doing more than merely tracking. To me, by enabling this space, CrowdVoice has undoubtedly changed the shape of contemporary social movements by becoming a central media source for the Arab Spring and the current wave of social change–a media source that develops from the ground up instead of the media conglomerate (cough, I mean “top”) down. From a social knowledge creation perspective, this web service is exemplary.

I am shamefully unversed in the critical theoretical nuances surrounding Arab Spring media (and protest narratives in general, in fact), and I’m sure there has been tons of interesting short and long form writing on the subject (feel free to pass it along!). For the time being, I feel confident in considering CrowdVoice in a positive light. Not just as an outlet for outsiders to “track” protests, but as an impetus for individuals to document, share, and archive their individual roles in historical social change.

Cheers, CrowdVoice.