DMP duties

Ohio State’s Digital Media Project is about support, equipment, training, etc. But it’s also about community and networking. Students come in-and-out to check out equipment. GTAs hangout, prepping to teach, furiously editing dissertations, socializing. Later there will be the usual unplanned communal lunching.

The official duties lend themselves to multi-tasking; I have to be available when needed, so I can’t be too committed to what I’m working on.

In the past hour I have:

• Charged batteries for five Nikon Coolpix 7100DMPnikons
  • Helped  a GTA figure out how to attach an LED light to the Nikon camera
  • Checked out Zoom Q3HDs & tripods to three students for class projects
  • Entered a reservation for the American Folklore Society Board Meeting to borrow a projector for a week of meetings
  • Went to a computer classroom to trouble shoot connectivity issues (unable to resolve, need to enter ticket up the chain of University tech-support bureaucracy), where I heard an in-progress introduction to wordpress that echoed the set up I did this morning for #DayofDH 

I also skimmed a blog by one of OSU’s MFA faculty on the MFA thesis defense, which a good number of my friends are doing this week. I came across it in my primary tweetdeck column. (I have a primary column and a half-dozen focused subject columns. It’s the only way I can productively manage the information wealth of twitter.) For me, one of the best benefits of the digital is serendipitous discovery. But of course, it’s important to balance that possibility with the ability for sustained focus. Hopefully the afternoon, when I’m away from the DMP, will allow some focus.