A day of digital numismatics

My last few months have been incredibly busy as I have focused on the public release of of Coin Hoards of the Roman Republic leading up to the Computer Applications in Archaeology conference two weeks ago, and currently I am working on updates to OCRE (Online Coins of the Roman Empire) in preparation of a European coin find/Nomisma.org meeting in Carnuntum, Austria in less than two weeks.  Part of this includes building a new interface for Nomisma, which is what I plan on working on today.  Currently, Nomisma is powered by a wiki, pmwiki I think, and so we want to move it into a better framework.  The wiki software, for example, doesn’t handle all of the allowable characters for a URI, meaning we cannot represent some numismatic concepts which use parentheses (like second edition Roman imperial coin types from RIC)We haven’t decided what the framework architecture will be in the long-term, but we’ll use Cocoon for now.  We can use Cocoon to build APIs which are sorely lacking in Nomisma, as well as use it to create an interface between Nomisma and the Fuseki-based RDF triplestore, which I detailed not long ago on the Numishare blog.  Today, I’ll write mainly about the progress I have made in developing the new interface, as well as other DH-related musings.