Keepin It Classy

The next part of my day was taken up by my very last English class in college. Being a graduating English major, that’s quite an accomplishment. This class’ topic is based on California literature starting with the late 19th Century. Pretty interesting right? Thanks for humoring me.

Not a bad read. Definitely worth the read.

Anyways, we discussed Ramona and the social implications such a novel might have/still has on modern society in the 21st Century. Most of the discussion consisted of ways in which American society has integrated the “good” parts of Native Californian and Mexican culture and rejected the “bad” parts. Examples included Mission style architecture found in many Californian housing tracts, our cultural obsession with finding “authentic” Mexican food, and the transformation of traditionally Mexican celebrations into modes of partying and drinking by American society. In the end, we came to the conclusion that these forms of social integration, while displaying a sort of Utopian narrative of diversity and cultural acceptance, also represents a more dystopian narrative in which the cultural uniqueness of the native Californian people has been subjugated by the social majority of American society.

After class, I began to prepare for my night of meetings. This should be fun…