Trying out the Day of DH

This is my first Day of Digital Humanities!

I’m an Associate Professor at the University of Saskatchewan, where I research gender and medicine in eighteenth-century France and England. It’s only recently that I’ve started to think of myself as doing digital history. Over the last three years, I’ve been developing an online database of Sir Hans Sloane’s Correspondence Online and, within the last year, have become a co-investigator on a crowdsourcing recipes transcription project (in development).

Recently, I took up blogging. I blog at The Sloane Letters Blog, co-edit The Recipes Project and contribute to Wonders and Marvels.

I don’t know yet what I’ll be doing on the Day of Digital Humanities–as I’m on sabbatical, my days are pretty flexible. But on any given day this term, you’re likely to find me checking database entries or transcribed pages, blogging, tweeting, researching or writing…

The image and blog title that I’ve chosen capture what I sometimes feel about my digital scholarship. There is just so much data to be managed that getting to the top of the project seems a long way up–and there’s always the threat of landslide. But the climb can be exhilarating and the views, wonderful.