Getting started

There have been quite a few changes since last year in my Digital Humanities and everyday life. I moved from London to Washington D.C. this January to start working as a full-time Research Programmer at the Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities (MITH). I see this as a huge step ahead for me and I’ve been learning a lot in the past two months and a bit.

I’m still working on my thesis, so I’m still affiliated with King’s College London as a PhD student and I’m still working with the Weber-Gesamtausgabe in Germany for my case study. Their Freischütz Digital project is moving fast and I’m helping with modelling the TEI libretto edition and the MEI-powered edition of the music score. I sometimes blog about this work and related research on It is not Sound.

Today

Today I’m at MITH and most of my time will be spent working on Angles, a browser-based XML editor. In my next post I’ll give an overview of Angles and of The Shelley-Godwin Archive, the two MITH projects in which I’m involved. During my lunch break, I’ll have a quick Skype talk with colleagues at the Du Chemin project, an editorial project of renaissance music, to talk about next steps in the project’s development. I’ll write a short post about this too.

Cherry Blossoms at the Tidal Basin, D.C.

My working day won’t be going too far into the evening today: being new in D.C., I am still distracted by new, exciting things to do and see. So at 6.30pm I’m going to get on a boat and marvel at the Japanese cherry blossoms in the Tidal Basin 🙂