DH and “Digital” Pedagogy

I’m a big fan and big contributor to the online journal Hybrid Pedagogy. I’ve contributed a few things, but one of the issues that I am continually writing about or referring to is the digital “ethos” that things like hybrid pedagogy or even DH inspires. For me, it’s about building, creating, interacting, making, and collaborating.

Take for example my peer-driven learning class. I let the students decide for themselves how they want to interact with the pieces they’ve selected, as well as what they want to build for the other students to use/interact with/engage. Today, it just so happened that the majority of the presentations were videos, one which was a video essay, and another was a music video. The students reflected on their choices, what the point of the videos were, as well as how they went about making the video.

Other students in the class have made analogue games; one made a Magic: The Gathering-type card game, but with scientists. Another did a Risk-type game, but using the different geographic areas of the US (they surveyed students and found that a good majority at our school believed we were in for another civil war). Another group create a Jeopardy-like game to expose our ignorance about poverty in the United States and more globally. These, to me, all reflect a kind of DH ethos of making and remixing, even if it didn’t involve digital media.

Having said that, I am particularly inspired by this “new” book created in Scalar (which is in Beta-phase, so you should check it out; I think it’s awesome), Flows of Reading: Engaging with Texts. I’m thinking that because I want this class to be a collective and new experience that this “book” would be an excellent resource to get them started thinking differently about engaging and interacting with text. The example given is Moby Dick, but we could easily create our own “chapters” around the readings the students have selected.

I really like Scalar because it does allow for text to be interactive and media-rich. And, it lets you mash them together. Perhaps this book will become the bridge in my peer-driven class between staying completely analogue and going all-digital. Or at least, it will hopefully get them to think differently about the difference.