Do Me

Quickest way to summarize what I’ll be up to today: The OCD horror that is my To Do list.

MLO-1 MLO-2

That’s My Life Organized, in Outline and Next Action view. The underlying logic is David Allen’s GTD, as hacked and refactored by me over the years. I know it looks ridiculous, but I would never have survived this past year as chair of our graduate program without some kind of system for tracking all the odds and ends and other people’s problems I have to deal with. I don’t put all those pesky little tasks in the system because I want to think about them; I put them in because I don’t want to think about them.

Actually, my control panel looks relatively quiet this morning. Not too many flashing red exclamation marks or klaxons blaring that something is overdue. So that tells me I can get back to one of the week’s big projects, which happens to be extremely DH-y: I’m in the middle of reviewing applications for a digital humanities grant program. Of course I won’t be able to blog about any of the details here, but it is interesting work.

Hope you’re having a good day.